Saturday, September 17, 2005

2 minute rule and Slush Folders

I am still in the office of a while, then to work out. Thought I would take a few minute break and blog.

Today, I am digging out of email. Dealing responsively to email and handling volume is a large part of my life.

One of the tricks I use is the 2 minute rule. If I can deal with an email in 2 minutes or less I do so immediately. When I am swamped, I reduce the time to deal with email to perhaps 30 seconds and sometimes what I do is just emergency scanning – 5 seconds. I move anything that will take me longer into a “TO DO” email folder. My inbox is almost always empty – I do not use that for filing.

Another trick I have is having a slush file. I simple have a folder labeled sept05 and if I am not sure I will need an email but might, I move the email there. Then if I get a call about something that I read in July, I simply check my July05 folder (and since I looked at it, I move it to Sept05). Then I can delete the folder if I have not looked at it in the past 6 months. I do not use my deleted files as a place to store emails.

So Time tips number 7 and 8 are – Email – the 2 minute rule and Slush files.

I am off to Mexico first thing tomorrow for 1 ½ days, then to California for a board meeting.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have an overflowing inbox, so I can use all the tips you have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home