Sunday, December 11, 2005

Business limits to growth

I feel blogger guilt. That’s the guilt a blogger feels when they don’t post for a while.

Needless to say I have been busy. Fiscal year end was November so I was in California last week. Flew in on the red eye Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon, went to a party at friends. Did manage to stop by the fitness store and buy a Ronman Power tower. Basically a free standing piece of fitness equipment to do chinups and dips on. I usually work out at the Y but I like to have a bit of equipment at home.

Although I was into the office today for a few hours, I am hardly caught up. I did run 10K so was not a total couch potato.

This week will be busy. Many meetings. Little travel though so I should catch up.

I have been thinking a lot about choke points in business. One thing I need to do is to polish certain area that are limiting factors to growth. As a business grow, there are always some areas that start to creak under the pressure and over time those areas change. Once sales are working well, the warehouse falls behind, and once it works well, sales need to sell more to fill the capacity etc.

I tend to spend my time on special projects revolving around those areas that are the current choke points of the business. My tip today is “identify choke points and polish them continually to grow.”

There – guilt assuaged.

2 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea of identifying choke points is extremely beneficial for a growing business, but for a CEO of a large company, I would imagine your time would be better spent finding capable managers for each section to continually improve procedures and efficiency on an ongoing basis. I know you are an advocate of time management, but there are only so many hours in a day . . .

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

Interesting point. I have excellent managers who absolutely do continually improve. This does not stop me from trying to help them though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home