Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sense of Urgency Wins.

I am just taking a few minutes between meetings at the CES show in Vegas to blog and email. Vegas is a great place to visit for a day. Spectacular architecture, world class hotels, awesome outdoor water fountain shows (why they decided to use so much water in their displays when this is a desert is beyond me), many interesting features in the hotels etc. It gets tired quickly expecially when there is a big show on since getting access to simple things like a taxi etc is a trial.

The line ups and wasted time trying to get from place to place at a show like this really drives me crazy. Still, it is very efficient. In just a few days, I can meet with 25 vendors and 15 customers. Tough to do that any other way.

I am an impatient person. I believe success in business has a lot to do with sense of urgency. The company or person who can do it now and do it faster usually wins. One of my favourite quotes is by Thomas Edison: "Great things come to those who hustle while they wait". One Jim Estill quote is "sense of urgency wins". I try to instill that in everyone.

Of course as I was contemplating my New Years resolutions, I almost added that this was a good year for me to be more zen. Content in the moment. Able to be calm even if things are moving slowly.

3 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buckminster Fuller has a concept of the "outlaw designer." He defines them as people who can think outside the box, who relish challenges, etc.

One of his observations is that outlaw designers all possess an overwhelming sense of urgency.

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quote you've attributed to Thomas Edison, well, if you Google it exactly as you've posted it, the only place it appears is your own site. Are you sure you're not referring to Abraham Lincoln, who is quoted as having once said, "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

I looked on quotations.com and Thomas Edison is attributed with "everything comes to him who hustles while he waits". Close.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home