Sunday, March 19, 2006

Frequency and saving time.

I got up early today and already feel my day is half done. I fly out this afteroon to Fremont and wanted to get a jump on my day. I also wanted to get a 2+ hour work out in. And of course I have a huge list of things I would like to get done. not the least of which is tidying my den.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how changing the frequency of something is a great way to save time. What started me on this was getting my license and health card renewed all in a couple of months of each other. If the government would change the renewal period from 5 years to 7 years, it would save the government 40% and even more importantly save the citizens hundreds of thousands of hours.

The same principles can be applied to many things that we do. I know in our accounts payable department we pay invoices every other week – monthly is a little bit too long and vendors would get upset.

I know I can live by only tidying/cleaning my den or car every couple of weeks. Much more efficient than doing it every week. Of course the balance is the order and messiness I am willing to put up with.

Of course with any frequency issue, you need to take into account what the downsides are doing it less frequently. I am not sure brushing your teeth once a week would be a good idea.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home