Thursday, April 27, 2006

Just Do it - 9 ways to keep inspired to blog

Last night I met one of my blogger CEO friends at a Communitech function. I won't identify him because I do not want to embarrass him. His CEO blog is not current. No entries in the past month. His excuse - he was too busy. When is a CEO not busy?

It got me thinking of how to keep people inspired to keep their blog current. Here are my "9 ways to keep inspired to blog"

1 - Keep a file of blog ideas. As I come across things that might be of blog interest, I clip them and add them to my file. I have a physical file an electronic one.

2 - Get a few blog entries "in the can". Sometimes I feel creative and the blog entries just flow. In these times, it is easy to write an extra entry. Then when I post it, there is usually only a few minutes of polish to make it right.

3 - Book reports are an easy way to create a post for me. I am going to read anyways so may as well do a short summary and comment on the books I read. I usually post my review on Amazon as well so this brings a bit of added traffic to the blog.

4 - Borrow a complete entry from someone else who has a good entry. I follow a few blogs and can easily use technorati to search for blogs that might have appropriate entries I can use. Of course I ask for permission but no one ever says no. I do the same thing with articles.

5 - Use a guest blogger. I have not done this but am sure many people would be willing to do a few entries if asked. This is a great way to cover if you are on a vacation.

6 - Just start to write anything. I find usually this gets the juices flowing and soon I have an entry.

7 - Use and comment on a quotation. There are lots of sites with quotations out there. Just choose one that resonates and post it with some comment.

8 - Entries do not have to be books. Short is fine. I like to limit my time for a post to less than 20 minutes. Readers do not like them much longer and it makes blogging justifiable in my mind.

9 - Just Do It (Nike - feel free to sue for trademark infringement but know that I have a lot of runner friends)




2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, Some great tips there, I think I pretty do almost all of those anyway and you're right...it' doesn't take effort, it takes commitment. I think a lot of people get disheartened when they don't get many hits in the early stages.

I love number 9 though, that made me chuckle! :D

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

Yes I do chop wood and do dishes. And yes, many many of my best ideas come to me when I am not specifically working on that task.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home