Thursday, April 06, 2006

Random thoughts - not too interesting.

I did whole company presentations in the past couple of days. Just filling people in on how we are doing both locally and globally. Also presenting our strategy and how we are doing on our goals. Also answering questions. Because of different locations and the need to keep the phones covered, I end up doing the presentation 5 times (and I should probably even do it more than that). It can be tough to keep the presentation interesting for such a diverse audience.

I look at how people find my CEO blog. Interesting that a number of people found blog by searching for "CEO's sleep less" and "How much CEO's sleep". As I look back, I have blogged quite a bit lately on sleep. I also look at where I am in the search engine rankings. For "CEO Blog", I am on the first page. And of course for "Time Leadership" I am number 1. Of course these are not searched for very often. Thinking - is there is any value in optimizing for more common searches?

4 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It helps to blog something about current events. That's why you see so many political and tabloid type of blogs out there because words like "Angelina Jolie" or "George Bush" get more searches than Time Leadership. However, there is downside to all of this because your blog loses its identity and will be just another blog that covers everything and anything. For example - The Blog Tribune is going through a bit of identity crisis right now because we were supposed to be an independent media type of blog but not entertainment news blog. However, our recent entry about Britney's Nude Statue yielded 750 unique hits per/day from Google but entry about Ariel Sharon hardly got any direct hits from search engines.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, how much conscious effort do you put into promoting your blog? Or, do you kind of take a back seat, so to speak, and just let people find your site on their own?

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

I do not do much to promote my blog or depending how you look at it, I do a lot. Most of what I do is fairly passive.

1 - I include it in my email tagline for some of the emails I send - perhaps 2000 per month.

2 - I promote it when I do public speaking. I would speak to about 200 people per month.

3 - I write articles and mention it or link to it.

4 - I have bookmarks that are given out. Perhaps 25/wk

5 - I do get quite a bit of press on it.

Thats it I think

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always amazed at how people find my blog.

It is often very difficult to optimize for more common searches because it is often not your core subject matter.

I always recommend that people focus on their strengths (interesting relation to above ABT-thinking post) when considering optimizing for search engines.

Ask yourself: even if you optimize for other topics, would the people who then found your site truly be looking for the content that you write about?

Check out what combination of words are commonly searched in your niche market.

I use Overture http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion
to check out what words people commonly type into a search engine.

For example, 33 people did a search for "time leadership" in February.

Usually if you type something common in, it will give you other options of word combinations to try. For example, time management has MANY options to consider.

Maybe you already know about this, but I just thought I'd pass it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home