Monday, May 01, 2006

Goals

Lots of volume today even though I was in my office all day and had few scheduled calls (although lots happened) and few meetings scheduled.

I almost always have a number of projects on the go at once. Right now I am close to completing my major parts in some of these projects. Often the way I work, I take a project to a certain point before it is handed over to a team. This does not mean I will have nothing to do, it just means I will need to refocus and figure out my new goals.

Because everyone knows that I am very efficiency oriented and goal oriented, people often give me articles or books on goal setting or time management.

One of the people that I work with recently gave me an article from the January 28th Montreal Gazette on "Planning will help you hit the mark."The subtitle was more interesting, "The manner in which you set goals can be the difference between success and failure". The gist of the article was that goals should be specific and measurable.

It all comes back to the acronym to use when setting goals - SMART - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timed.

I am good at the Specific. Fairly good at measurable and timed (with deadlines). Sometimes not so good on the attainable and realistic (although I am working hard to try to better at it).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home