Wednesday, May 24, 2006

SYNNEX Retreat and SEO

I am at a retreat in Charleston, South Carolina with a group of high performing SYNNEX staff. Beautiful venue (and warm compared to the frost that got the tomatoes on the weekend). Very well executed by the SYNNEX Marketing staff.

I violated one of my own time rules of travel. By the time I got to the second flight, I had run out of reading material. So my time tip for today is always carry lots of reading.

Lately I seem to be thinking a lot about BLOG traffic (my thoughts could be because I changed my blog to www.jimestill.com off of blogspot and lost many of my links). Because my blogspot blog redirects to my new blog, I have not lost much traffic; but the rating on my new blog is lower.

When I look at my log files on how people find my blog, I am particularly intrigued by the search engine and the words that people search for ( refered to as search engine optimization or SEO when people deliberately try to increase their search hits) and I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Often people search for book titles and so when I do my book reviews, this often leads to a minor amount of traffic.

2. Of course I get the usual ones like people searching for Jim Estill or SYNNEX.

3. I get a number of appropriate hits from people looking for “Goal Setting activities", "inspired leadership", "time management".

4. I get a number of hits that probably don’t get what the user is seeking such as things like: "ways to feel energized" (this might not be a bad topic for me to blog on though), "athletes and leadership", "uses and abuses of leadership and management" (I sure hope my blog is not about that). Not sure accidental hits are worth much.

Interesting

3 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim. Other bloggers say thata move costs about 60 days before the links catch up with you after a move. But they do catch up. At least that is what happened to Robert Scoble and Stowe Boyd.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that you posted on search phrases this week. I did too. 'Plugged Ears and Milk' brought someone to my blog.

It does make me wonder about the accidental surfer.

Sue Richards

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... and I clicked on when I searched for "good quote on profitability" for a presentation I'm working on .... your blog popped up.

... SC sounds great, especially the kayaking ...
Diana
OC, CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home