Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Inconvenient Truth and Subscribing to Blogs.

I took my second night off in a row. Bridge last night and went to a great movie tonight. "The Inconvenient Truth" is a must see for everyone. It centres around climate change. I could not remain an Estill without seeing it. Surprisingly, I ran into my brother Glen there. Why surprising? He lives 3 hours away. The bottom line on the movie is to do what my parents have always preached - minimize our impact on the planet. Be energy efficient. Buy a Prius etc. Good movie - go see it. This is the first movie I have bothered to see in over a year (other than on planes). Do it.

Finally the number of links to www.jimestill.com has caught up to my blogspot address. It took 123 days or four months for the number of links to catch up. This means that my blog is now ranked at the 36,059th most linked to blog in the blogsphere.

I am surprised at the few number of people that actually subscribe to my blog. Many people read it but they do it by coming back to it. The easiest way to get the blog updates is to subscribe. It is very easy – look at the panel at the right of this screen and type in your email address. Another Do It now.

My goal is to get over 1,000 people subscribing to my blog in the next month.

And for those who want wisdom:

"Good management is the art of making problems so interesting and their solutions so constructive that everyone wants to get to work and deal with them."
--Paul Hawken Growing a Business

4 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger serenity said...

:)

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

How do you plan to obtain these 1,000 new subscribers to your blog, Jim?

Your writing, personality, tone, and topic choice is excellant. Interacting with readers by replying swiftly to comments is one way to build an online community around your blog.

RSS/Atom subscribers are different from ordinary blog readers. Generally they tend to be more technical, have better computer skills, to the point of having an RSS reader.

But feeds do not include comments, video, images, or podcasts. They are generally separate feeds, which can get messy.

Email subscribers might be less technical, but I have grown to ignore my FeedBlitz blog update emails, except for the Dave Taylor and the Blog Business Summit emails. I pay attention to them because there is some content in the subject line, more than just "5 updates from 3 feeds" which is not compelling.

Have you considered doing podcasts or video player embeds in your posts?

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

I plan to beg people to subscribe :-) Really, I will mostly just ask people as I interact if I can subscribe them. If find most people agree. They might not read though or may cancel.

Good point on the speed on comment replies and replying. I tend to be busy and involved so am slow. Will consider more response though.

Will add podcasts. It is on my list.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Thanks for interacting with me. I look forward to your podcasts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home