Saturday, April 07, 2007

Decline of the Blog and Blooks

I read in the Globe about the "Decline of the Blog". It said "an estimated 200,000,000 blogs have been started and then abandoned...with perhaps 100,000,000 people still blogging worldwide." " Everyone thinks they have something to say until they're put on stage and asked to say it".

I certainly know many people who have started and abandoned blogs - often in the first few weeks. And sometimes I have not felt like blogging.

In the same paper, the very next piece was on new words in our language like Blook - books created from blogs. My brother, Lyle, did one of these called "Biodiesel Power: The Passion, the People, and the Politics of the Next Renewable Fuel". So one part says blogs are dead and another says new words are being created to deal with all the blogging phenomenons which have become common day.

This past week was challenging even though I had limited travel (I was in Montreal for a day but thats it). I have many projects on like Redmond, moving into our new warehouse and quotes to do.

I fell for one of the traps I often preach about. I was answering "why" rather than "how" or worse - answering "why it cannot be done" as opposed to "how can it be done". The How question is one of the most powerful ones we have. Bob reminded me of this.

Off to work out and work. I love long weekends. I can get totally on top of things and feel caught up.

2 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading that decline of blogging article and laughing. Just because people tried and then stopped doesn't mean it's declining. A more meaningful stat would have been how many ongoing blogs (define that how you will) there are from year to year. Just more sloppy stats and the need for a headline.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I really like the HOW it can be done, instead of the Why it can't be done. Reframing makes alot of sense for these types of items. You are blessed to have people that think that way surrounding you.

Recently, our eldest daughter, asked HOW to do some specific math problems, with limited time available to her. Realizing it is an opportunity to complete something in a short period of time, taught ME a great lesson, and reminded me of the HOW vs. the WHY Not.

Have a great day, hope you're caught up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home