Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Goals versus Growth

On my flight today, I listened to a John Maxwell audiobook. He spoke about Goals versus Growth orietation. He said that sometime people who are goal focussed (like me) reach goals then stop. Of course when someone stops reaching, they start to decline. He spoke of the need to be Growth oriented because that way, you keep going.

I have lone been a proponent of setting goals and having action plans to achieve them. Interesting, as I reach or even get close to reaching my goals, I set new ones. This might be the step some people make. Always keep setting new goals.

This is the way I can be both Growth and Goal Oriented.

3 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Blogger David said...

There's a critical balance within the infinite cycle of growth and goals. 'Ambition (goals) without knowledge (growth) is like a boat on dry land.' - Mr. Miyagi, The Next Karate Kid

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. Set the goals, and keep setting new ones, keeps the momentum going.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand Maxwell a bit different than you, Jim. I hear him saying that setting goals does not guarantee growth. You can have goals that are quite wonderful, but don't help you grow or develop. They may help you increase revenue or operating efficiency, but don't do anything for growth and development. Caveat: It's been some time since I've read Maxwell. I may be imposing my views on his.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home