Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Public Speaking and Networking

I am doing a lot of public speaking lately. One of the roles of a CEO is to be a spokesperson. Technoplanet last week. I spoke to about 125 people at a Guelph Enterprise Centre event on Monday. The topic was "9 Success Habits". Today I am the keynote speaker at a venture capitalist's seminar run by Quorum. The topic is "Bootstrapping a Business (even after you have venture money)". Both will be fodder for future blog posts.

The more I speak, the easier it is. I am a big advocate of Toastmasters and Dale Carnegie - both of which I have done. I do not write my speeches (and no one else does either). I do however prepare for them and make some notes.

Speaking is a lot about networking. In networking, I tend to give without expectation of return because what I have found is I tend to get huge returns in the most unexpected places over time. Of course I am a time use person so I try to network in the right crowd (EG in my case computer resellers/vendors is a good crowd). And from a time use prospective, I like to speak to large groups. Ideally over 100 but I do sometimes do just 50.

Part of me also feels I need to give something back to the community so speaking would be a part of it.

Off for a busy day.

4 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I want to join toastmaster's club sometime this week.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great course is the Christopher Leadership Course in Effective Speaking. It's a non-profit organization and the instructors are all volunteers, so the cost is reasonable (about $160) and they run courses throughout Canada. Highly recommended! http://www.thelumen.com/

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The speaking part is easy for me - but the networking feels unnatural. I have had to adopt the idea that I only network to help others - I just couldn't do it the other way.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toastmasters is a great way to learn public speaking skills.

Everyone shoudl join!

Thnaks for the post.

Cheers

Darren Fleming
Australia’s Public Speaking Coach
http://www.executivespeaking.com.au

 

Post a Comment

<< Home