Saturday, March 28, 2009

Strategic Acceleration: Succeed at the Speed of Life

I know everyone really wants to know more about what I will be doing but it is not yet public.

So you have to settle for some comments on Tony Jeary's new book called, "Strategic Acceleration Succeeed at the Speed of Life". The book starts out with a very bold statement, "It will forever change the way you think about getting results and will increase your effectiveness in all you do". This certainly sets a high bar.

Because I have been reading many books at the same genre, this one reminded me of the Suzanne Bates book, "The Three Laws of Performance". Many of the points that Jeary makes are the same as what Zaffron and Logan make.

It starts with clarity. Without clarity you will resist strategic change. Reminds me a bit of my goal setting exercise. It also talks about perception being a reality even if it is not the truth.

The author goes on to explain how to develop clarity which is very easy to say but much harder to do. From that clarity it talks about setting the vision. A clear vision is critical to successful effectiveness. Interesting enough it goes back to understanding the why of clarity which is a point that I would have thought would have come before the vision. I do know however understanding the why makes the vision much more powerful.

It talks about focus which is the opposite of distraction. This is something that I am always challenged with in life. I think in part the computer industry does this to me because I end up with so many short little emails and interruptions that it hurts my concentration span.

It talks about my favourite production before perfection. More people fail from lack of action than from doing things that are not perfect. I love the propensity of action he is proposing.

The most valuable part of the book came in the exercises that were in the appendix. Of course the challenge with exercises is you have to be willing to put in the work and do the exercises in order to get the value from the book. On the other hand, why not if you are interested in making a change.

I think the book is an appropriate answer to dealing in turbulent times when the need to change is greater than ever before.

I would recommend the book and think it is a good read; however, I am not sure if it lives up to the expectation that it tries to set of being life changing unless you have never read a personal development book before.

5 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So Jim, will most of us be totally surprised by your new digs, or will we mostly say "ahhh of course. a perfect fit" With plans for me to come out of temporary retirement soon, the challenge is whether i do something well suited to my skills, or something very different where I rely on my enthusiasm and general experience to succeed. When is news going to be public. Do I have time to set up an offshore betting line for where you go? :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

Congratulations on your move, whereever it may lead.

There are alot of large industrial groups in your region that could use assistance from a seasoned technology executive.

Regards,

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jim

Good luck in your new ventures. I was one of your early customers with the purchase of an Osborne-1!

Rick

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Kathryn said...

Great book. With macro change on a non-linear path why do people think they can stand still? Organizations look at yesterday's performance. Change without acceleration is standing still as the rest of the world is propelled forward.

I'm also in the throes of transitioning -- My first step was to get reacquainted with technology I didnt have time for. Blog and microblog! Social media is changing the world.

Best to you.
K.

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good comments about Strategic Acceleration - especially the comments about the worksheets in the appendices. I helped write the book and was directly responsible for the exercises, so it's great to hear that they are useful! Very kind regards, - sk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home