Friday, September 04, 2009

We Control Our Own Schedule

I thought I would be bored without a full time CEO gig (and any CEO gig for me always means way more hours than what some people consider full time - one of my strengths is energy and work ethic)

So what am I filling my time with?

1 - My boards take some time - especially the RIM board.

2 - I am helping a friend buy a company. This is perfect for my background and skill set. This involves some travel so therefore, more time.

3 - I have a few Time Management seminars I am giving. Nothing that I need to promote as they are "in house" for companies.

4 - I invested a bit of money in a company that makes Calliflower - a conference calling and webinar type product. I am going to see how easy or tough that product is to sell. I am going to track my time and methods to see what the returns will be on it.

5 - I am a featured Blogger at the upcoming World Business Forum in New York on October 6-7. Should be awesomely interesting judging from the speaker lineup which includes people like Bill Clinton, Jack Welch, Patrick Lencioni, George Lucas, T. Boone Pickens etc.

What am I not doing enough of? Figuring out what I really want to do. For this, I will need to actually schedule time. I am suffering from letting busyness crowd my schedule and take my time. Now I just have to choose to control my schedule.

3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger FRANCESCA said...

I feel an energetic person passionate for keeping busy never truly gets bored. Busy is great but you must make time to just 'be' - I like to think I can control my own schedule but too often things crop up,it changes so being adaptable to that change is important for me (and I like to think I do a good job at that)Good Luck controlling your schedule!

Wow, yes, the line up of speakers @ the WBF sounds totally awesome! Looking forward to your review/thoughts about it afterwards.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Ellen Weber said...

Jim, you make a great case for creating targets and priorities for the day and week and month. It seems that the shifting grounds allows for some many more interesting adventures to come in and yet as you said so well, the other side is overstretched.

It's refreshing to reflect on fact that we have the same hours daily as Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.

As you infer, the difference is in the delegation. It's been my experience that if you assign time to tasks and your brain will do the rest. Agree?

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Kevin said...

Great way to fill the schedule. Very interesting that you are involved investing in a startup and also helping with the transactions of businesses.
We are attending the HSM World Business conference as well. Looking forward to finally getting there. Should be excellent topics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home