Thursday, December 03, 2009

How to Find a Job on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Other Social Networks

I recently read How to Find a Job on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Other Social Networks by Brad and Debra Schepp.

Text Color
It's interesting because I'm not necessarily looking for a job, but more what I want is a passion.

I've come to use LinkedIn fairly extensively and often LinkedIn to people when I meet them at shows, events etc. and encourage them to linkedin to me as it's one of the simplest ways to keep in touch with people.

I am an extensive user of most social networks including Blogger, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and even Tumblr.

I did learn a few LinkedIn tricks that I hadn't used. One of them is LinkedIn questions. To show expertise and build profile - they have a question and answer section.

A lot of the book underscored the need to be organized in networking (which I think applies not only to finding a job, but to finding new customers and new suppliers). I've always been very systematic in my approach to networking, the book simply reinforces that this is an excellent idea.

The book emphasizes the need to have a good LinkedIn profile and pointed out that changes in status get seen by people on your network.

At one point, I decided I needed to expand my network on LinkedIn and I soon learned the network effect. When I had less than 500 LinkedIn contacts, I made a habit of adding 5 new ones a day and when I hit 500 all of a sudden I was getting invited once a day by new people and now I'm a little bit concerned I'm going to go over the 3000 contact maximum that LinkedIn allows because I get invited so often to connect.

The book is a good refresher for those who are familiar with social networking and a good starter for those who are not. Although the gist of it is how to find a job, I think the book would be useful for general networking. I wrote an article on this very topic called 9 Ways to Network Easily.

Changing topics, I had a guest post on marketing posted at Hilary Toppers' blog.

5 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Anonymous scheng1 said...

Interesting! I have LinkedIn account, but never login to update anything.
I guess I have to login to update profile and network.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Our hospital's chaplin defines passion in one's work -

1- were the heart is
2- were your treasure is

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Martin said...

Hi Jim,
social networks do work. We connected via Linkedin and, believe it or not:-) I found my current job via XING, the EU based type of LinkedIn. Networks work!
best wishes
Martin

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Monica said...

I am having a LinkedIn Account but never update my profile but now I am going to update my account and start making my network. Thanks

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim - your statement "I'm not necessarily looking for a job, but more what I want is a passion" really hit the nail on the head. I have been trying to describe exactly what my personal search for satisfaction is, my restlessness. I "get" it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home