I was in Boston yesterday and was asked for the best questions to ask in an interview. The following list largely comes from Double Double - the book I recently reviewed. Clearly the questions used varies from interview to interview and is based on the person and position.
I welcome feedback with other questions:
Problem Solving and Ability to Deal with Adversity
- What are your personal goals, and have you achieved them? If not, why?
- Who was the most difficult person you've dealt with? How did you respond?
- Describe a frustrating experience from work. How did you deal with it?
- What are some of the greatest personal challenges you have faced?
- How do you handle rejection?
- What aspects of your past jobs were most frustrating?
- What life experiences have given you the greatest reward?
- Can you tell me about the toughest job you've ever had?
- What was the most difficult aspect of obtaining a college degree?
Career Goals and Objectives
- What are you career interests?
- What are your standards of success/goals for a job?
- What are your goals and aspirations for the next three years?
- What are your long-range goals and how are you preparing to achieve them?
- If you could create the perfect job for yourself, what would you do?
- Can you tell me about your plans for the future?
- What work would you like to do that really interests you?
- What is your timetable for achievement of your current career goals?
- What skills do you possess that will help make you successful in this job?
- Why should we hire you?
- Have you ever worked in a similar position with another organization, and what did you enjoy most and least about it?
- Can you discuss some of your past jobs and what you accomplished in them?
- What prior work experiences have you had?
- What were your accomplishments in these prior work experiences?
- Please tell me about the duties and requirements of your last job.
- Elaborate on one of the work experiences listed on your resume.
- What did you enjoy most about your previous job experiences?
- What did you enjoy least?
- In addition to your educational and professional experiences, what else would you like us to know about you in order to make an appropriate decision?
- What skills will you bring to the job that will enhance our team or company?
- What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
- What did you see as your major strengths and weaknesses on this job?
- What would your last two employers say about you, good and bad?
- How would you describe your supervisor/leadership style?
- Who or what had the greatest influence on your life?
- Can you describe the difference between motivation and inspiration, and how these apply to you in the work environment?
Initiative and Follow-through
- What are your greatest achievements at this point in your life?
- Tell me about your accomplishments during college that make you proudest.
- If friends and colleagues were to describe you to a stranger, what would they say?
- What do you consider most important when evaluating yourself?
- What were your most significant achievements during this job?
- How would you describe your style of communication?
- Tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to someone else.
- What do you enjoy doing most?
- Tell me about a time you had to present information to a large group of people. How did you feel and how successful were you?
Working Effectively with Others
- How well do you work with others?
- What are some of the pros and cons of working on a team project?
- When have you led a team to achieve a specific goal, what were the results?
- What have you admired in people who have previously supervised your work? What haven't you admired in these individuals?
- How would you resolve conflict in a group situation?
Creativity and Innovation
- What changes would you make in your school's academic program?
- Tell me about a time you found a new and better way of doing something.
- What was the largest, most creative project you've been involved in to date?
- Tell me the most creative solution you have come up with to solve a problem.
- Tell me about a time when you had to bring out the creativity in others.
- Please tell me about a conflict and how you resolved it.
- Tell me about a time you had to make an important decision with limited facts.
- Tell me about a time you had to make an unpopular decision.
- Tell me about a bad decision you made and what you would have done differently in retrospect.
Delegation and Organization
- How do you organize your day?
- Tell me about a time you delegated a project effectively.
- Describe to me a time when a supervisor delegated a task to you when you had a full workload. How did you handle the situation?
- Describe what your closets and garage look like today.
Customer Service and Sales
- What personal qualities will you bring to this firm?
- Tell me about a time when you dealt with an irate customer.
- What does the term "the customer is always right" mean to you?
- What's the best example of awesome customer service you've provided?
- What starting salary do you expect as an employee?
- When comparing one company offer to another, what factors will be important to you besides starting salary?
- How would you describe yourself?
- Name three people who have inspired you and why.
- What do you know about our company?
- Why are you interviewing with us?
- Why do you want to work in the position you are seeking?
- What are your expectations of us?
- Why did you select us?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- Why were you laid off?
- Tell me about the best boss you've ever had.
- Tell me about the worst boss you've ever had.
- What can you offer me that another person can't?
- If you could choose to work anywhere, where would you go?