Monday, October 31, 2011

The Power of LEO and BEG for Candy

I read a great book with an acronym in the title. The Power of LEO - The Revolutionary Process for Achieving Extraordinary Results by Subir Chowdhury.

From the publishers web site:

L is for Listen. Observe and Understand – To obtain a deep understanding of the issue at hand, assumptions must be put aside and interaction with all relevant parties – including customers, suppliers, and employees – is critical. “You must get up close and personal and go to the source,” explains Chowdhury. That could be the factory floor, a call center, or a customer’s home. And listening is not only about asking questions, but about observing — whether that means watching a worker perform a task or a customer use a product.

E is for Engage. Explore (JE - I prefer to call this explore) and Discover – Once the real nature of the problem is uncovered, the next phase is about searching for the best solution. Chowdhury advocates a special type of brainstorming session that encourages people to relax and try to come up with numerous ideas, no matter how far-fetched they may seem. An informal environment where every idea receives a full and respectful hearing is key. “To get the most out of the Enrich process, you need to embrace change and the idea that what you have now, and what you have done up to this point, simply isn’t good enough,” the author writes.

O is for Optimize - Improve and Perfect – During this phase, participants review the solutions that have already been proposed. They look for flaws and find ways to improve the solutions, making them even more effective. This is a step that some organizations think they can skip. But it is essential, because good-enough no longer works, contends Chowdhury. Everyone needs to strive for the highest quality possible. “If you want to turn out the kind of products or services that will truly delight your customers and attract new ones, you need to keep raising the bar on quality,” he writes. Once the Optimize stage is complete, and only then, can the solutions be implemented."

The book is full of examples which as I noted in other reviews keeps things interesting.

I liked the final chapter that talks about continuous improvement in general and how it not only applies to companies - it applies to individuals. This is one concept that I totally buy in to.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


So I was inspired to do my own acronym for Halloween Candy control - BEG.

Halloween - a time for discipline (and tricks). I tend to eat healthy food because that is what is in the house. But for Halloween the kids would not particularly like health food and the Health Bars I got were actually Heath Bars (the wonders of speed reading) and they are addictive.

B is for Brush. So the trick I do is to brush my teeth. When I have done that, I tend not to eat candy (at least for a while)

E is for Equivalents - I also calculate equivalents. 1 small bar (70 calories) is .7 miles or 5 minutes of hard running or 10 minutes of walking. Not a big deal - just need to schedule 2 hours of extra exercise to eat the number I am tempted to eat.

G is for Give Away. And then of course give all the surplus candy away fast.

For health - BEG for Halloween Candy.

Now the question - should I turn it into a book?

1 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Jerry Hingle said...

I like what you've done with the acronym, that's very clever. I'm also very interested in the book The Power of LEO. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home