Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Winner's Brain

I have always had a keen interest in the brain -  how it works and how to improve it.

I read a great book The Winner's Brain - 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success by Jeff Brown and Mark Fenske.  It is about maximizing the brain for success.

One of the points is the ability to thrive despite adversity.  I have always ascribed to Fail Often, Fail Fast, Fail Cheap.   And having a failure does not make you a failure.  True failure is not trying.  Although I ascribe to those, it is always worthwhile to have practical tips to make these sayings become reality.

The Winner's Brain single tasks.  It is great at shutting out distraction.  I am not yet as good at this as I will be.  "Office workers switch tasks every 3 minutes."

One place I like to practice this is in airports.  I say to myself that there is a lot of hustle and bustle that focus can allow me to shut out.  Interestingly, airport distraction is easy because none of it matters to me.  Unlike when I am in my office and the phone rings, someone stops by or even email comes in.

A bigger concept I am working on is saying no.  I can be great on ignoring small distractions but kill my productivity by meeting with and speaking to everyone who asks for my time.  I see a need to become more rude (which is not easily in my nature).

Motivation is one key to a winner's brain.  I know when I am inspired, I am ten times as powerful and productive.

Winner's brains have good emotional control.  I am great at that trait.  So one out of 8 is not bad.

And of course there was a section on brain care.  Brain care is basically body care.  Exercise, eat right, sleep properly.  And consume omega 3's which you will get if you eat right which typically includes lots of fish and some nuts.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Garden is great.  Asparagus and parsley winding down.  Strawberries just beginning.


2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing that the garden is already growing. Up in snow land, our leaves just started to come out on the trees about two weeks ago, about 5 weeks behind southern ontario. That said, the winter was much shorter than usual.

Good review on the book.

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous 360 feedback said...

For me a winner's brain is disciplined. Without discpline you'll have a tough time blocking out distractions, managing your time and controlling your emotions. Discipline is cultivated through constant practice and exercise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home